It looks like we are in for a scorching hot half term this May so I thought it might be helpful to share some of the local attractions to help keep the kids entertained in the heat. With the help of suggestions from some of my wonderful clients here are a selection of the local attractions you could visit.
1) Wells-Next-The-Sea - This is one of my favourite sea side resorts locally. Just along from Hunstanton it is a beautiful sea side town with a lovely beach, colourful beach huts, a fun train ride and is great for some crab fishing fun.
2) Lincolnshire wildlife park - One of the largest animal sanctuaries in the UK ,it is home to Parrots, Tigers, Reptiles and many more. I know my children love watching animals in action so this is one that is definitely on my list to visit.
3) Barnwell Country Park - Home to 37 acres of lakes, riverbanks and meadows as well as a woodland adventure play area and Hobbit garden for toddlers. There is plenty of space for family picnics or even a BBQ.
4) Fineshades woods - Fineshades has trails for all ages and abilities to enjoy. You can walk or hire bikes and enjoy the cycle routes or even go on a Gruffalo Hunt.
5) Rand Farm Park - There are many working or tourist farms within the area but Rand Farm Park is a favourite with my children. It has a great balance of indoor play, outdoor attractions and hands on animal experiences.
6) Ferry Meadows Country Park - Ferry Meadows is where many of my own childhood memories were made and is somewhere I visit regularly with my own children. There are a range of play areas for children, boat and train rides, walks around the lakes and plenty of open fields to kick a ball or throw a frisbee. There are also lots of picnic areas and bbq spots that make for a great family picnic. Ferry Meadows also has a water sports centre where older kids can try a spot of wind surfing and canoeing. They often run activities during school holidays so its worth checking out their website for more info.
7) Radcliffe Donkey Sanctuary - Who doesn't love a donkey? Home to lots of rescued donkey's who can live out their days in comfort, Radcliffe is free to visit.
8) Stanwick Lakes - Take your swimmers and towels if you chose to visit stanwick lakes as it has a fantastic water play area that will definitely help keep the kids entertained and cool. They often run activities in the school holidays like pond dipping so check out their website to see whats on.
9) Bourne outdoor swimming pool - This wonderful heated outdoor pool opens its doors for the season on 27th May and in my experience is one of the cleanest and quietest outdoor pools in the area. It is maintained by volunteers and is always a welcoming place to visit.
10) Rutland water - Rutland water has so many things going on that you could probably fill the whole week at just this one location. Water sports, bike rides, man-made beach, water obstacle course, nature reserve, outdoor adventure centre, boat rides and so much more.
I hope that you have found this article helpful and that you have a great May Half term. Are you planning on visiting anywhere different this holidays? Why not share your top places to visit in the comments for others to share or let me know what you think if you visit any of my recommendations.
Enjoy the sunshine everyone and long may it continue.